Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Beastly Footman - Trail and Errors

I am a little shocked that I have not posted a Beastly study in about a year. If you missed any of my previous Beastly creatures you can see them here: Beastly Caster, Beastly Fighter, Beastly Archer, Beastly Scribe, Beastly Pirate, Beastly Rider, Beastly Mercenary, Beastly Thug, Beastly Rifleman, and Beastly Swordsman.

This time around I wanted to try out some new media combinations and experiment a little. In the end, it was all a wash and I retired (destroyed) the final product for the good of mankind. As before, I am working from reference while modifying it into a more monstrous nature. The first stage of the experiment started easy enough with colored pencil on toned paper...

Beastly Footman - Stage 1
Colored pencil on paper
9 x 12
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Nothing new here. I have been doing a lot of toned paper drawings the last couple years and I have really been enjoying it. What could I do to take what I am already doing a little further? Could I push it? Stage 2 introduced white acrylic paint and black ink...

Beastly Footman - Stage 2
Colored pencil, acrylic paint, and ink on paper
9 x 12
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

The whites and more white and the blacks are darker. All good in my book. I was really liking where this was going. Back going back in with a brush I could really add some fine detail and make sure highlights popped and the dark areas were dark enough. I felt that the forms in this stage 2 version were really nice. BUT, could I push it further? Was there more I could do? Stage 3 introduced more paint and ink as well as marker and a different colored pencil...

Beastly Footman - Stage 3
Colored pencil, acrylic paint, ink, and marker on paper
9 x 12
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Aaaaaaaaaaand... too much. Maybe if I had not introduced the earth tone pencil... maybe if I had stopped at stage 2... maybe... blah blah blah. Live and learn, trial and error. MEH... what can I say, if I had not tried I would not have known. Sometimes what you are already doing IS working just fine. Not much else to say about this, but I HIGHLY recommend trying out new things as often as possible, it is the only way to really grow and develop.

As an added bonus, here is a bunch of images of the original drawing that went into making stage 1 so you can get a feel for how the drawing came together and took shape...

Beastly Footman - Process steps for stage 1
All image of course © 2014 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment