Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dungeon & Dragons Monster Manual - Spriggan - Redesign

Continuing another week of monsters from my concept work on 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons with the loathsome Spriggan. The best type of Fey creatures? GROSS Fey creatures! Here is how the final concept turned out...

Spriggan - Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual - Redesign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

This was a very late addition to my workload and was a fun one. Production wanted a weird, little, simpering, pathetic, gross incarnation for this Spriggan. I was more then happy to work up some thumbnails of just that. Here is how my thumbnails turned out...

Spriggan - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

I really liked 'A' and 'B', not too sure where 'C' was heading but neither did it. 'B' was the obvious winner and needed to be moved along to a finished drawing. Still loving 'A' a whole lot... I may need to remember the feel and mood of it and see if I can channel it into another piece sometime. Anyway, here is how the final drawing for the Spriggan turned out...

Spriggan - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on Paper
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The drawing was approved without note and I was all set to move onto the final color comp. This was another one that moved along really quickly without any major issue or exciting story. Just making monsters... Needless to say, it is thanks to years of experience, familiarity with the IP and project, and an established working relationship with the art director that makes this as easy as it sometimes it. Here is how the final color comp turned out...

Spriggan - Final Redsign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The color comp was approved and another monster is all set. Time to move onto the next one...

A HUGE THANKS to Jon Schindehette for all the monsters and direction during the design phase of 5th Edition!
That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday for another new monster! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments: