Friday, November 21, 2014

Pusbubble - Blood Bowl: Fowl Play - PROCESS

Finishing off a week of traditional painting posts on the blog today with the process that went into Pusbubble! You might remember Pusbubble from back in June when I first shared him with you. Pusbubble is from the Foul Play expansion for Blood Bowl and was my first traditionally painted piece for Fantasy Flight Games. Here is a look at the final before we get into the process...

Pusbubble
8 x 10
Acrylic and pencil on board
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games
Original - SOLD

Pusbubble was described as a very small, very excited Nurgling that wore homemade gear and armor and just wanted to be part of the game. Oh, and he needed to be dripping with goo and filth, killing everything around it. I started things off with some thumbnails as I got my head around this cute little guy...

Pusbubble - Thumbnails
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

Option 'C' was the winner. Looking back now, it seems like a no brainer, but at the time, I was really up in the air on which was my preferred thumbnail. There may have been some mention in the assignment about the ball being a little too big to carry, or Pusbubble was having trouble lifting it I think 'C' better conveys that. Now that I had a thumbnail, it was time to work up the final drawing...

Pusbubble
12 x9
Pencil on paper
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games
Original - SOLD

The drawing was approved without comment. You might notice that the aspect ratio changed from the thumbnail to the drawing. I wanted to paint on a standard sized board, so I extended the background horizontally to allow me to work on an 8 x 10 surface. With that squared away, it was time to paint. Here some images of the piece coming together...

Pusbubble - Process
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

I was (am) still figuring out this traditional painting stuff. In Pusbubble, especially, there was a lot of experimentation and just trying things out to see if it would work. I was also trying some new media and different types of combinations of media. Some of the experiments have led to processes I continue today while others have been abandoned. Still very much learning and figuring this all out on this piece. Here is a little animated process progression thing that better shows the piece coming together...

Pusbubble - Animated process thing
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

Pusbubble was the first of what has lead to many more, but more on that later. Here again, is the final painting and the corresponding card that this piece was created for...

Pusbubble
8 x 10
Acrylic and pencil on board
© 2014 Fantasy Flight Games

Pusbubble in handy card form.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. Really love this little dude! :)
    Great to see your process for this piece. Awesome work, sir.

    ReplyDelete