Monday, April 13, 2015

Descent: Dark Elements Cover

A year ago I had the opportunity to work on my first cover assignment for Fantasy Flight Games. Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition, has special organized play adventures available first as in-store experiences and later available through their online store. Their organized play covers are very monster centric which allowed me the opportunity to work on one. I was tasked with portraying a menacing Merriod in a deep dark underground water filled dungeon. Here is how that Merriod turned out...

Descent: Dark Elements
12 x 12.5 - Digital
© 2015 Fantasy Flight Games

The Merriods are pretty crazy with their bitey face claw tentacles and they many rows of sharp pointy teeth, but were very fun to work on. This apparently has been out as an organized play adventure for a while now, unbeknownst to me. This adventure was made available for purchase on the FFG web store on Friday and I learned of its release. It feels like so much longer then a year since I worked on this with all that has happened artistically for me since then. Here is how the cover looks on the packaging...

Descent: Dark Elements packaging
(image courtesy the FFG website)

The menacing Merriod is currently getting some love on the FFG website. While it is not the first time, it is not often one of my pieces is so prominently featured on their site. I will take a moment to reflect on this... and then get back to work.

Dark Elements announcement on the FFG website
RAWR!

A big thanks to Andy Christensen for the opportunity to work on this assignment and for all the great art direction throughout this project. I will have a bit to share about this one when I post the process in the the coming weeks. More on this soon!

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment