Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Scrag Attack - Princes of the Apocalypse Process

I have another VERY overdue process post for you. Today I am sharing the process and steps that went into the Scrag Attack piece that I did for the 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragon's release of Princes of the Apocalypse. I first shared this piece with you back in April of 2015 which means I painted it in 2014... so, yeah, this is a little overdue. So many other things going on. Anyway, here is how the final piece turned out...

Scrag Attack
Dungeons & Dragons - Princes of the Apocalypse
  6.5 x 16 - Acrylic, pencil, and gouache on board
Original - SOLD
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast

This was one of the very first pieces that I did after deciding to switch the majority of my client work from digital to traditional. This was also a piece I did a lot of freaking out about and over. It was a very nervous time in my monster making life. I was taking a lot of chances and I felt like I was risking it all. We are approaching the two year anniversary when I made the switch so I will be interesting to see where I am when that roles around.

I was relying heavily on all if my best practices that I learned in my digital process flow to make the switch to traditional that much easier. That meant starting off with reference gathering and thumbnails. Here is how the thumbnails turned out for this piece...

Scrag Attack - Thumbnails
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast 

Option "C" was the winner, production just wanted a little more bleed and to bet the Troll's elbow into the composition. There was a bit of a run around with this aquatic troll too. It was in the adventure, but an aquatic troll did not exist yet for 5th Edition. I was asked to that the Troll template and add gills and webbed figures. There was some back and forth and eventually it was approved and went through, though I was a little nervous for a moment or two. Here is how the final drawing turned out...

Scrag Attack - Drawing
  11 x 17 - Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast

With an approved drawing I was physically ready to start the final painting, mentally ready... that is another situation altogether. I had no idea about how long this painting would take. I had no idea what obstacles I would face. I had no idea when I was even done with the painting... did I even ever actually finish it? Like I said, there were a lot of risks being taken and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Here is a look at the painting coming together...

Scrag Attack - Process progression
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast

I was pretty much in a state of wild panic through out this entire piece. If you look at the last image in the process above, this is where I first thought this piece was finished. Through a bit of a personal crisis and some advice from another artist I went back in and continued working on this piece to the point you see in the final state. I learned A LOT doing this piece and its companion piece (the fire breathing Minotaur that I will share the process with you soon). Sometimes you learn the most when you have the most to loose. You also learn a lot by doing the actual work and not by planning and practicing ahead of time. Here is an animated progression of this piece coming together so you can better see the steps...

Scrag Attack - Animated process
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast

To put it bluntly, there was a lot of blood split to finish this piece. It took its tool on me and my dear wife, but in the end it was finished, approved, published, and sold. The painting saw its entire lifespan so it was a victory. I just did not know at the time I started it that it would be so costly, emotionally speaking. Live and learn! Here again is the final painting for your viewing pleasure...

Scrag Attack
Dungeons & Dragons - Princes of the Apocalypse
  6.5 x 16 - Acrylic, pencil, and gouache on board
Original - SOLD
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment