Wednesday, August 24, 2016

4-LOM - Star Wars: Galactic Ambitions - Process

Today I have for you the steps and process that went into my 4-LOM character card for the Star Wars LCG. I felt it was fitting since the piece sold at Gen Con a few weeks ago. I have shared a little about receiving the assignment for this piece when it was first announced and I shared some of the ups and downs of my varnishing woes and how it relates to this piece. While I love these stories there is no reason to cover old ground. Here is how the final 4-LOM  painting turned out...

4-LOM
Star Wars LCG - Galactic Ambitions
14 x 11 - Acrylic and pencil on board
Art Director - Taylor Ingvarsson
Original - SOLD
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Since I had such a short deadline for this piece I hit the ground running and needed to get some thumbnails done super quick. I dug out my 4-LOM figures and shot reference of myself and the figures to get the ball rolling. The assignment called for 4-LOM smashing through a door and firing off its concussion rifle. Pretty straight forward... and it needed to be with only days to spare to get it all done. Here are the how the thumbnails turned out...

4-LOM - Thumbnails
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

I have not looked at these thumbnails since I turned them in and I am really liking option "A". I might have to revisit that thumbnail for a drawing when I have the time. Obviously, option "B" was selected and after being asked to add more bleed I was approved to get started on the drawing. It seem like no matter how much bleed I add and no matter how strictly I work with the approved templates I never seem to get it right. I am just no good at working with templates or more bleed is purposefully being requested so that the piece can be used elsewhere at a later date. Anyway, here is how the final drawing turned out...

4-LOM
Star Wars LCG - Galactic Ambitions
17 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Taylor Ingvarsson
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The drawing was approved and I was all set to get started on the final painting. You might notice something a little off in the drawing. I thought it was correct at the time, but I must have been getting lazy and not watching what I am doing. The curve of the doorway and face above it are in no way symmetrical. I REALLY should have addressed this in the drawing, but I didn't notice it or, like I said, I got lazy and blew it off. It could have been I was dealing with a 5 day deadline for this painting and I was cutting every corner I could. When you look at painting coming together, notice is step four when I painted in the curve of the doorway, this is when I went in and redrew the curve and the face to make sure it was correct. While this was a bit further along then it should have been, at least I caught it relatively early. Here is the painting coming together in 15 easy steps...

4-LOM - Process steps
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

This piece came together VERY quickly because it had to and I used every trick I could to make sure it worked and got finished. The fact that it is snowing outside came about as I was working on the piece. I thought it would be fun and allowed me to add steam and smoke to make the image more interesting for myself. It is the little things that make it fun for me. Here is an animated progression of the painting so you can better see the steps in the process...

4-LOM - Animated progression
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Here again is a look at the finished painting, glad it has found itself a new home!

4-LOM
Star Wars LCG - Galactic Ambitions
14 x 11 - Acrylic and pencil on board
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games 

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment