Monday, November 7, 2016

Chewbacca: Star Wars LCG - 2016 Store Championship Kit

More new Star Wars work on the blog today! I say new, but apparently, this has been out for months and months, and I was only alerted to its release at Gen Con. This Chewbacca piece was created for the 2016 Store Championship Kit and was released at the beginning of the year. Oops! I guess it is fine to finally be sharing it in November. I present to you my second official Chewbacca painting for the FFG Star Wars games...

Chewbacca
Star Wars LCG - 2016 Store Championship Kit
11 x 14 - Acrylic and pencil on board
Art Director - Taylor Ingvarsson
Original - SOLD  
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Last year I shared with you my first Chewbacca piece that I did for Imperial Assault. I still really like that piece a lot, but I always felt it could be more and look more like Chewbacca. When I was given a second chance to paint everybody's favorite walking carpet I really made sure that Chewie looked like Chewie. When I share the process for this piece, I will show you just how many times I painted, repainted, painted over, started over, and reworked Chewies head and face on this piece to get it where I wanted it to be. Since this is an iconic Return of the Jedi moment, I really wanted to make sure this was Jedi Chewie. I think I got the job done. Also, when I share the process for this post, I will talk a bit about how inconstant the actual scene in the movie I am depicting was. Anyway, here is the drawing that I created that goes along with this painting...

Chewbacca
Star Wars LCG - 2016 Store Championship Kit
14 x 17 - Pencil on paper
Art Director - Taylor Ingvarsson
© 2016 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Last, but not least, here is a bad scan of the final production card with all the cropping action you could possibly want. You can also see why there was so much blank AT-ST at the bottom of the painting. The actual card does a pretty good job in capturing the look of the painting, even though I feel my own images of the painting do not. Gotta love a painting in person.

Chewbacca in handy dandy card form

That's all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment