Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Whatever Happened to the 2016 Recap?

March is all but over and the year is just racing by... as usual. Never enough time and always five things to do at any given moment. Yet we continue on and somehow, for the most part, get the important things done. Most of the time...

You may or may not have noticed that I never posted a recap of 2016. Most likely I am thinking you never noticed, but that is okay, we are all busy doing our own thing. As long as I have been doing this blog I have made a point of recapping each year. I share my thoughts, reflections, successes, and failures to hopefully understand my own journey as well as share with others to hopefully help them along theirs. But here we are at the end of March and I have not recapped 2016.

While this is not the recap I have been intending to write since January, this will hopefully explain why there has been no recap... without giving too much away. 2016 was a really weird year for me and there was a lot going on and a lot of changes happening. I had some really great highs: a super Gen Con and being in the main show at Illuxcon, and there were some really frustrating lows: continuing to struggle to make art at a ever increasing level of quality. But all of that seems to miss the point of my journey as an artist in 2016. It is not about the things I did or did not do, it seems to be about where I am heading and where I will be in a year or two. 2016 was a year of change and it has spread over into 2017.

This image has resonated with me for the last 6-8 months.

Every moment I was about to write a 2016 recap the events of that day in 2017 changed my takeaways from 2016. 2016 has not ended for me yet and it is quickly becoming clear that, if all goes as to plan, 2016 and 2017 will be a collective event in my career. It currently feels like 2016 was the drum roll for 2017 and now it is my time to perform. This also goes beyond my art career. My day job, my free time, and even my day to day activities all seem to be in flux and evolution. EVERYTHING seems to be in a state of change for me right now and it is taking a bit of time for it all to play out and to reach a recognizable end point. If everything continues as they are going I will have some really exciting things to share with you and I will be really really thrilled with it all. But you never know how things will actually work out until they do, so I do not what to say too much at this time. If you are being very observant, you might be able to glean some ideas at the path ahead of me. But don't worry about that too much for the time being, I have a lot of work ahead of me and I will share it with you when the time is right.

If you are interested, here are links to all of my yearly recaps since the beginning of the blog. It is an interesting narrative when viewed together like this. You might even be able to see where I am heading next by looking at the evolution and changes expressed in these post: 2009 part1, 2009 part2, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015

I think I have been as detailed and as vague as possible. More details and news will be coming in the fullness of time and this should all make for an interesting recap in 2018. If you are still reading this and if you have been following the blog, thank you. I feel like I am shouting into the void most of the time with this blog, but it is my way of recording my career as an artist.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment